Making Your Relocation to Omaha Easier!
Let's face it, moving day is no picnic. Experience has taught us organization is the key to making your relocation to Omaha as smooth as possible. By using these helpful tips, your move will be much more organized and less stressful. If I can be of assistance, contact Kim Bills, your Omaha real estate expert.
- Schedule a locksmith ahead of time if you wish to have your new house re-keyed for security reasons. Arrange it in advance so they can re-key your house the day you move in!
- Host a garage or yard sale to get rid of outgrown or unused items. If time prevents you from holding a yard sale, consider donating the items to a charitable organization like the Salvation Army or the Goodwill Foundation.
- If you secure free boxes at your neighborhood supermarket or liquor store, just remember they are not reinforced.
- Mark fragile boxes so movers can identify them quickly and easily. Be sure you point out to your mover those boxes that contain high-value items and secure extra insurance for those items.
- Pack dishes, bowls, plates and other glass objects vertically, rather than flat and stacked.
- Pack heavier items in smaller boxes.
- Create an "OPEN ME FIRST" box containing personal essentials like toilet paper, soap, toothpaste, paper plates, paper cups, paper towels, snacks, instant coffee or tea bags, soap, flashlight, tools (screwdriver, pliers), and any other items your family can't do without. Have this box available so it can be removed first from the moving truck.
- Pack books in a rolling suitcase. Have you ever tried to lift a box full of books!?
- Don't misplace your home purchase "closing documents." Remember that giant folder of papers you received when you closed on your new home? Don't misplace it... if tax time is right around the corner, you'll want a few of those documents in order to claim deductions! However, if you do lose it, just call me. I'll get you another copy ;- )
Home Ownership Tips Directly from Clients:
- Sprinkler System: If you're a new home owner, learn all you need to know about using your sprinkler system. Before it's time to use the sprinkler system in the spring or time to winterize it at the end of the year, schedule a tutorial with a sprinkler company. (I have had great experiences with EZ-Rain, 402-493-7802).
- Furnace Filters: Learn the size of your furnace filter and which style is recommended for your HVAC system. You can get discounted furnace filters at "The Filter Shop" located on F Street in Omaha!
- Moving Large Items: We packed all of our own boxes and then had the moving company move the boxes and the furniture. It made the move so much easier.